West Java Province Governor signing an MoU with WWF-Indonesia’s CEO. © WWF-Indonesia/ Dissy Ekapramudita
On 6 September 2019, WWF-Indonesia and the Governor of the Indonesian province West Java signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on Sustainable Consumption and Production (SCP) in an official ceremony held in the province’s capital Bandung. The MoU describes the following areas in which West Java provincial government and WWF would like to cooperate:
- responsible tourism
- renewable energy support and campaigning
- policies on plastic waste reduction
- participation in the WWF initiative “One Planet City Challenge”
- capacity building to meet standards among local businesses
- public education and awareness raising to support conservation management, etc.
With this partnership, WWF ID hopes to establish a model region for SCP that includes all three target groups of the project: high-level political support, cooperation with companies in the region, and consumer engagement.
Bandung is also one of the project sites of the IKI SCP project, which generally interacts with the public through community engagement at the local level. In Bandung, the project engages through its Earth Hour communities, and one of the quarters of interaction in Bandung is Kurdi where the community engages in sustainable urban farming. More information on the Indonesian SCP project at the Beliyang Baik website (in Bahasa).